Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Headband Tutorial (how to make a baby headband)

I am reposting this because i am finally getting around to posting the pictures for the step by step tutorial!
I love baby headbands! And they are sooo easy! Provided you have a sewing machine. :) SO here is a quick how-to for those of you who have been wanting to make some but weren't sure how to start. My absolute favorite... has turned out to be these lace headbands. AND, by coincidence, they are the easiest!

First, hit up a fabric store and find some stretchy lace. Ours is ALWAYS out of it... so i am guessing these are popular. All you need to do is measure out what you need. I recommend 13" for newborns. 15" for 3-6 months. And 17" for 6-9 months. However, if your baby has a larger or smaller head you might want to make adjustments. This is just a rough estimate. You want the headband to be snug. If it is too loose when they move their heads back and forth it will slip and end up off or over their eyes... :)

Now for the part that requires great skill and concentration! Pin the two ends together and sew, leaving about a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Ta-DA! You are done. Some people like to finish these off by encasing the raw edges in ribbon. I don't. But I am going to show you how to do it in my next headband... so just scroll down if you are into that.

I mostly use flowers in my little girls hair, so i love these headbands the best. You can just slip the flower clip right on to the lace and viola! If you are going to be using bows then you will probably need to do the ribbon encasement i talked about above.



OK! On to the nylon headband as pictured below! These are cute. Just not my absolute favorite.
And of course! I sell these if you cant or dont want to make them!
$2 for the lace and $3 for the nylon.
I usually get my nylon from Wal-Mart. They have these little round containers that hold a pair of knee-highs. They also come in the three colors I use most. White, brown and cream. So just pick up a pair. Next, cut the kneee high the appropriate length (see above measurements), making sure you cut the toe off.


Sew ends together, leaving 1/8" seam allowance.


Now you will want to encase what you just sewed in ribbon, so that the rough ends are not showing. These ends are a little messier and uglier. :) Take a peice of ribbon the appropriate color. You want it to be about 1 1/4 inch long and 3/8"wide.

Use a lighter to very lightly melt the ends of the ribbon to eliminate fraying.


Gather the headband together and pinch.


Use a dab of hot glue to secure one end of ribbon to the headband.


Wrap the rest of the ribbon around the nylon. Use a dab of hot glue to secure.


And you are done!





Happy headband making!   http://creativelycraftybaby.blogspot.com/2009/05/headband-tutorial-how-to-make-baby.html

No comments:

Post a Comment